brandonsears

brandonsears

Mr. Mercedes
Stephen King
A Long Line of Dead Men (Matthew Scudder)
Lawrence Block

John Dies at the End

John Dies at the End  - David Wong After reading a particular great review on GoodReads, I had to get my hands on this ASAP. Several people I follow on this glorious website have been singing the praises of bizarro fiction over the past number of months and have stirred up some interest in me about exploring the genre.

John Dies at the End was my first bizzaro experience and now has me dying to devour more material. It was everything I thought this genre was supposed to be.. totally fucked up, thrilling and interesting characters with hilarious dialouge.

I could go into detail explaining the plot, but it's so out there that it's best if maybe you go into it with a little ignorance and just let it unfold before you. There are so many twists and turns that I found it hard at times to put it down. It's only because I've been so busy lately with personal matters that it had taken me about two weeks to fully finish.

John and David are cemented as two of my favorite characters at this point in my reading career. Totally cynical, over-flowing with sarcastic wit. The author just continues to outdo himself time and time again throughout the novel. As Stephen pointed out in his review of the book, the following quote may just be one of my favorites of all time:

From day one it was like society was this violent, complicated dance and everybody had taken lessons but me. Knocked to the floor again, climbing to my feet each time, bloody and humiliated. Always met with disapproving faces, waiting for me to leave so I'd stop fucking up the party.
The wanted to push me outside, where the freaks huddled in the cold. Out there with the misfits, the broken, the glazed-eye types who can only watch as the normals enjoy their shiny new cars and careers and marriages and vacations with the kids.

The freaks spend their lives shambling around, wondering how they got left out, mumbling about conspiracy theories and bigfoot sightings. Their encounters with the world are marked by awkward conversations and stifled laughter, hidden smirks and rolled eyes. And worst of all, pity.

Trust me. This is a fantastic book. The fact that its being made into a movie makes me extremely happy. The cast looks decent and is made up of smaller, lesser known actors (which I'm a fan of) with the exception of a few heavyweights.