brandonsears

brandonsears

Mr. Mercedes
Stephen King
A Long Line of Dead Men (Matthew Scudder)
Lawrence Block

The Whisperers

The Whisperers - John Connolly A few months ago, I heard that John answered all his messages on his official Facebook page. So, I thought, "Hey, I like Connolly a lot, perhaps I'll tell him that". So I sent him a message expressing my appreciation for his work and his signature Charlie Parker character. Much to my surprise, he actually did respond.

Dear Brandon,

Thanks very much for the kind words. Good for morale as I work toward the end of the draft of the next book, so much appreciated.

All best wishes,

John

Awesome.

Anyway, onto my review:

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I know a whole lot about the Iraq War. Most of what's fed to me comes from either John Stewart, Saturday Night Live, or, most recently, the film, "The Hurt Locker". That isn't to say I'm opposed to the war, I just don't have enough of an opinion either way.

When I picked up John Connolly's newest Charlie Parker thriller, I was surprised that he wasn't dealing with pimps, religious oddities or child molestation. This time, he was delving into the world of post-traumatic stress felt by soldiers returning home from overseas. Except, that it's not REALLY dealing with that. Connolly always loves to mask his thrillers with a relatable issue only to delve into something supernatural. That's not a spoiler folks, Connolly is now 10 books into the Charlie Parker universe and if you haven't picked up a hint of otherworldly forces intruding into Parker's life, then something is missing in your understanding of the series.

Over the past 9 installments, Parker has amassed such a gallery of impressive adversaries. Somehow, Connolly keeps coming up with enemies that outdo the last one. In The Whisperers, we're introduced to Herod and his commander, The Captain. Herod is driven by a promise of relief from the cancer that has stricken his body. In obtaining that in which The Captain seeks, he will be given a much better existence on the other side. So basically, nothing is going to stop this guy. The Captain, described as "evil incarnate" is chilling. Appearing in only the reflections brought about by mirrors, still water and windows, Connolly writes him in a way that can disturb the reader, even without supplying the character with any dialogue or substantial actions. Just his described appearances are more than enough.

My only real beef with this novel is that the witty banter between Louis, Angel and Parker is stifled. I'm a massive fan of Parker's friends and am a little disappointed in the size of their roles in the two most recent installments. Perhaps Connolly is planning a follow up to the mostly Louis and Angel standalone entry, The Reapers. Who knows? Either way, I could've use a little more humor and sarcasm injected.

Overall, while it doesn't live up to the feelings I had after finishing both The White Road and [b:The Reapers|2515832|The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)|John Connolly|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51flREuCuoL._SL75_.jpg|2425284], it's still an excellent entry into the Parker series.

** By the way, I'm stealing a page from Stephen's review system and rating this 4.5 stars.