brandonsears

brandonsears

Mr. Mercedes
Stephen King
A Long Line of Dead Men (Matthew Scudder)
Lawrence Block

Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft - Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodríguez When I put down Horns, I had a feeling I was going to be a Joe Hill fan. However, when I finished Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft, I traded that "feeling" in for a Joe Hill fanboy membership.

Good Gravy, this book was spectacular.

Granted, I had my reservations before cracking the cover (which I think I literally did when I dropped it on the floor of the library). Whenever I start a second book by an author I reallllly liked the first time around, my head fills with all these questions. "Is it going to be as good as what I just read?" "Am I going to be letdown?" "Is there anyone that doesn't know he's Stephen King's son?" Thankfully, 2 out of those 3 questions were answered.

This guy literally came out of no where for me. I knew who he was and had heard about the hype surrounding his work but for whatever reason, avoided him until recently. If anything, this graphic novel gives me another reason to branch out to comics that do not only feature dudes running around in tights.

While I haven't exactly forgotten my experience with Y: The Last Man from last year, Hill has helped confirm the feeling I've had about non-superhero style storytelling. I've really been missing out on a genre of the format.

Now begins the painful wait until Vol. 2 is in my hands.