brandonsears

brandonsears

Mr. Mercedes
Stephen King
A Long Line of Dead Men (Matthew Scudder)
Lawrence Block

Saga, Volume 1

Saga, Volume 1 - Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples The planet of Landfall and its moon, Wreath, are at war. While the nations themselves are not astronomical in size, their influence stretches across the galaxy pulling other planets and races into the conflict. When two soldiers from opposite sides meet, fall in love and produce an offspring, they try to escape the battle that has ravaged both cultures. As with most things, it isn't going to be easy. Not only have they broken some serious unwritten rules by not immediately killing one another, they had to go ahead and reproduce. Rough roads lie ahead of Marko and Alana.

I’m a huge fan of Brian K. Vaughan's "Y: The Last Man", so this should have been an immediate buy. However, I only started to hear some moderate buzz about Saga earlier this year. Despite my initial trepidation, not only does Saga satisfy my growing palate for sci-fi, it quenches my thirst and leaves me begging for more.

Fiona Staples' visuals were exceptional. In fact, they're gorgeous. While it may not come away as polished as most books, there's something unique about her style that really hooked me. The look of certain characters can be jarring at first but in the end, she's the perfect fit for Vaughan's story.

Vaughan's famous for placing familiar characters in unfamiliar environments. While the setting isn't relatable, the characters could be anyone you know. They're all driven by basic human emotions and desires; the need to protect your child or the quest for acceptance in the eyes of others. Vaughan and Staples succeed in making the reader invest in the lives of their creations, leaving you yearning for more.

I think this will be the last time I read Saga as a completed volume. I'll be adding it to my monthly to-read list ASAP.

Cross posted @ Every Read Thing